Wednesday, September 19, 2007

#103: Bakiev's Speech

This is the gist of Bakiev's speech today:
1. He announced a referendum on the Constitution as well as on the Electoral Code. His decree on the referendum for October 21, 2007 is here.
2. He superficially outlined the constitution which he proposes, although he clearly said that separation of power between branches is not the aim, but rather "responsibility" of the government.
3. He said he would create his own political party.
Full text of his speech is here.

One more thing, the President always reads from paper and never looks up (and sweats a lot) when he gives a speech, even if he is opening a small school in a remote village. He is known for digressing and doing things that were not in the scenario, as it happened with his dance two weeks ago.

So, referendum in October. Parliamentary elections probably in spring 2008, or as early as this December. All the serious political parties are gearing up the vote, while opposition ones are expecting the government to pull off dirty tricks to tilt the result its way.

Update: Just bought a box of mouth-watering Iranian dates, which become very popular during Ramadan. Since I am not fasting this year, I will have to organize an iftaar, dinner for breaking the fast, and I was thinking of taking my parents and some relatives to my favorite Chinese restaurant. My aunt already disliked the idea, but I assured that it will be all halal. Still waiting for my younger brother to return from his travels to have a welcome back dinner for him as well.

No comments: