Monday, September 25, 2006

Report #12: We Are Not Soviets Anymore!

Thanks to Edil, I came across a test for potential immigrants to Russia, whose government is trying to introduce tougher migration regulations for newcomers from around the world (mostly from the ex-Soviet republic).

Many of the questions on the test are culturally-specific. Unless you have seen the Soviet films, listened to the Soviet songs, and read the Soviet books, you will definitely fail the test. Many of my friends of my age (the generation that went to elementary school in the Soviet Union, but went to secondary school after 1991) failed the tests. I hope this is an indicator of how the younger people are breaking away from the Soviet past (and way of thinking, of course).

By the way, I did 15 out of 47 in Level 1. For the first time in my life, I am glad I failed a test.

No comments: