Monday, August 13, 2007

#84: Prohibition

All alcohol (from beer to vodka) was banned from stores and public places in downtown Bishkek. Yesterday I went into Narodniy store on Manas/Chu to check if they had any alcohol, all the fridges and shelves were empty. Our government is going hard-core as it prepare to host the SCO summit.

Thanks God, I will be out of Bishkek during the summit. Will be traveling to Astana for the Parliamentary elections in Kazakhstan to observe how Nur Otan, Nazarbaev's party, easily wins in the race. I am hoping that I will be deployed in eastern or western Kazakhstan, where I have never been.

Update: Just had lunch at an Italian restaurant on Chui street. They were told not to sell alcohol for the whole week. All the cafes and restaurants, stores and kiosk, pubs and discos along the Chui and Manas streets were ordered not to serve alcohol. Absurdistan!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny, I faced the same situation in istanbul, during their elections this July, no alchohol, nowhere! Frustrating. And people got crazy the next day when it was alloed! I wish that would not happen to Bishkek..

Unknown said...

that is good idea not to sell alcohol for a week because SCO summit, but it would be better if government of Kyrgyzstan sets a law about never supplying ALCOHOL