Wednesday, August 29, 2007

#91: Kafka On The Shore

... is the book that I started reading as I rested in Issykul two days ago. The lake was unusually empty for this time of the swimming season, or maybe that's because I was there on Monday and Tuesday. People making living by renting apartments and running cafes not far from Cholponata and Bosteri complained that this year they were not able to make as much money as last year. Prices in Cholponata are like those in Almaty: eating out in Issykul is twice as expensive as in Bishkek.

A friend of mine sent this great picture. The red sign on the roof carcass says "Bakiev's Headquarters #153" and the other one on the fence says "Zoo: Works Daily." The picture might have been taken during the presidential elections in 2005. It sheds light to the inner workings of Bakiev's team. At least, now we know where he finds his advisers.
Pictures from Issykul will follow soon.

1 comment:

Maarten said...

Hello Azamat,

How are you doing? I hope you're doing well.
My name is Maarten Bels, I am originally from Holland but I now live in the United States where I work for a local newspaper (The Sun) in Jonesboro, AR.
I have tried to contact you before through a comment but I'm not sure if you got it. I can't find an e-mail address to contact you so I'll just try to leave another comment. :-)
I am working on a project for which I am doing research on Kyrgyz politics and I would love to just correspond with you via e-mail if that would be OK with you.
You can contact me at:
de_rebbe@hotmail.com
maartenbels@gmail.com

Well, I sincerely hope to hear from you.
Havea great rest of the week and a good weekend.

Maarten Bels
de_rebbe@hotmail.com
maartenbels@gmail.com