Tuesday, October 23, 2007

#125: China

120 reports ago I wrote about an increasing interest in China and the Chinese language. Last week NA, my younger brother, left to Guangzhou, China. He will be there for at least a year at a language school. I know at least half a dozen Kyrgyz students there now.

By the way, NA tells me that all blogging servers, Blogger, LiveJournal, WordPress, etc. are blocked in China. Plus, it takes 100 times longer to open a web server located in Kyrgyzstan (.kg). I am now sending him news from Kyrgyzstan and copies of this blog by e-mail.

3 comments:

Ulaana said...

Azamat, I can't access the Registan site or any other news sites about Central Asia here in UB. Most of the Mongolian servers come from Beijing. Even my blog often doesn't come up here. It comes up as a crazy, hell-fire, bible site! That's strange on many levels!
I suppose yer brother is smart for studying Chinese. Perhaps we should all follow his lead! When I suggest to my Mongolian friends that they study Chinese, they all laugh at me and say "never"! It's a shame because China is buying into Mongolia, and already owns pretty much everything of value. China sees Mongolia as another province. I'm sure China is investing in Kyrgyzstan like crazy too, huh?

Konstantin said...

Wow, for at least a year?!

Unknown said...

and the situation is getting worse and worse. One of my friends teaches English there and for last 3-4 months we can't even use skype for communication, they are blocking it....
I don't even talk about their education system... very strange.